Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Living in the Moment

It's hard to write a blog about "living in the moment" when I can't! Too many moments pass too quickly, and too many things consume my mind at one time! Imagine being consumed with what is actually going on in your life right now. Not what happened yesterday, or may happen tomorrow; not what's going on somewhere else with someone else...but actually soaking in the moment that God has given you right now. Our stress level would be lower and I believe our memories would be better if we were actually focusing on the moment. I find myself meeting new people, shaking their hand, repeating their name and greeting them warmly...only to walk away and realize I probably wouldn't recognize them again if I ran into them in the store, much less know their name! Why? because as I'm "meeting" them, my mind is in a thousand different places, and I'm not really focused on what's at hand!

As I'm reading a book, I realize that my mind is on so many other things that I haven't even comprehended what I just read. In a relaxing moment, instead of soaking in the peaceful surroundings, I'm concerning myself with all the things that I need to be doing.

Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Things that are "true" must be real...not things that we fear, or things that we plan. Yes, we need to be prepared for the things that we know are going to happen; but I believe most of us need more balance. This is a problem for me, and I'm trying to train myself to focus a little more on the moment that God has given me.

1 comment:

  1. Kim, It's so awesome to read about what the Lord is doing there in the Philippines. I miss you and look forward to your next blog. You guys are in our prayers.....Love ya !!

    ReplyDelete

green dots

banks